Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

My daughters husband has told her "over the phone" to get

Customer Question

My daughters husband has told her "over the phone" to get out of the house that they share.
He said that the marriage of 23 months is over.
they have a 4 month baby.
I am at the house to pick her up to take her to my home while we try to work this out.
I have told him this.
My question is should we leave?
He will be coming home later and expects her and the baby to be gone.
am I setting out on a bad path by having her come with me? We live in houston texas. The house is rented from his parents.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael;l I look forward to assisting you today. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. I'm not sure what you mean by "bad path", but I assume you are wondering whether leaving will affect her negatively during the divorce? The answer to that would be no. Couples often separate/live apart while they either work through issues or work through the divorce. Many spouses are worried about something called "abandonment", but legal abandonment only occurs after about a year apart with absolutely no contact between the two. I don' t think your daughter has that in mind or should worry about it since they have a child together and will need to speak. In the end, she should do what is in her best interest and the best interest of the child. I hope this helps!If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.Michael