Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in MI. My youngest child will be 28 in a couple of months

Customer Question

I live in MI. My youngest child will be 28 in a couple of months and I still owe an arrearage. Can I get that eliminated because of the Statute of Limitations Law in MI on collecting back child support being 10 years?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) You may or may not see a timer on the question. The site is doing some testing, but do not worry, this timer should not get in our way. The question may be answered sooner than the timer ends, or a little after. The timer may reset or it may not. Point is - I will try and make it work for our conversation; and(C) For the sake of clarity I may break my replies into several parts, so there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies. Ergo, until you see me saying "I am ready to be rated," that means I am still working with you and we have not finished yet.The statute of limitations for child support in Michigan is ten years. Anything past ten years, the ex cannot collect on. However, anything before ten years they still can.However, if there is a judgement for anything, then that judgment may be enforced for 6 or 10 years regardless and extended if renewed, per Mich. Comp. Laws §(###) ###-#### ***** whatever is 10 years old and has no judgment, there is no "voidance" motion - the arrears simply cannot be pursued after this (or rather, the pleading may be struck down if it is).I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct.. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cancelled this yesterday and asked that they not charge my credit card. Please credit my account.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I'll let customer service know.