FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Joint custody situation. Live in same city. Phone calls are

Customer Question

Joint custody situation. Live in same city. Phone calls are allowed, never hindered when reasonable. Other parent wants facetime. I don't like it in my house because I feel it is too intrusive into my space. Am I obligated to allow it? NY state resident.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, you do not have to allow it, unless specifically stated within the decree. As long as you are in compliance and allow phone calls, to allow the other parent to speak with the child and be informed of what is going on and their well being, you do not have to allow Facetime. Yes, times are changing and technology does allow greater means of contact but if this is something the other parent wants, they would need to proceed back to court and get it court ordered. Of course, you can object to it and argue about how it is intrusive into your personal space. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!