Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Because my husband mentally and physically abusing. I decide

Because my husband mentally and physically abusing. I decide to leave him. But right now I just found a place to move out. Since I have been unemployed for few month, he said he's gonna help me a little till I am financially stable. But recently he talk to some lawyer, that they said they have ways to make him not leave me anything at all.(we have married only for over 1 year).
I have no invendence for physical abuse. I have a short voice record when he verbally abuse me.

I don't have much money to hire lawyer. I just want to know what his chances. Also after I moved out 1 year, I am able to divorce him, even he dosen't sigh right?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have been married for a short time, you may not be entitled to much, since under NY law you are entitled to only an equitable share of the property acquired during the marriage and spousal support is not generally given in such a short marriage and if it is it is not given for more than several months if your marriage was only for a little more than a year.

You can get a divorce without him signing. He does not need to sign. You need to go to legal aid and you need to talk to them and also the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in your area who can help you with your divorce.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX more question. Is the pro bono attorney cost a lot?

Thank you for your response.

The pro bono attorneys are attorneys that volunteer their time for free services to those who cannot afford attorney.