Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence

When I was trying to figure out my expected child support,

When I was trying to figure out my expected child support, on the california child support site, it says one thing for net disposable income, but the taxes it says I pay are about 1k off. Why would that be?

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

Taxes can be variable for a variety of reasons, including how many dependents you claim. That usually controls how much is withheld from your income. Otherwise, someone could just claim more dependents to have more money withheld from their income, thereby reducing their child support, but then get a big tax refund at the end of the year. The program is estimating what your taxes should be if you get no refund and owe not taxes at the end of the year. It cannot be precise, though, because each person's tax situation is so different. For example, do you take the standard deduction or do you itemize? That will change your actual net income as well.

Steven Kincaid :

Does that answer your question?