Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

In California, what are the guidelines that require a parent

In California, what are the guidelines that require a parent to continue to pay child support after graduation and after the age of 18

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Have you been ordered to pay support beyond the age of 18? Is the child disabled?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have not been so ordered. Would we be required to continue to play child support if the child continues to go to school? If so, what type of school?
Hello again, Heather, and thank you for clarifying that for me.

Child support may not continue after the child graduates from high school pursuant to the CA code unless the parents agree to continue such support.

The code sets out in relevant part:

3901. (a) The duty of support imposed by Section 3900 continues as to an unmarried child who has attained the age of 18 years, is a full-time high school student, and who is not self-supporting, until the time the child completes the 12th grade or attains the age of 19 years, whichever occurs first.

Unlike the law in some states, CA does not provide for support to continue after graduation from high school if the child goes to college.

Here is a link to the code:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=03001-04000&file=3900-3902

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.