Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

can a pro se litigant in a family law case request from the

can a pro se litigant in a family law case request from the judge a clarification on the wording of a prior ruling? In this situation the litigant is not necessarily attempting to overturn the prior ruling or make any other motion that can be viewed as argumentative, or as a motion "against" the other party. It is simply an attempt to have the vague and self-contradictory wording formally interpreted to eliminate the endless debates between the parties that it created.

If so, what type/form of submission is required (Colorado), and is the litigant required to copy the opposing counsel on the submission?

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

who are you and do you have a law degree? are you licensed to practice law?

Hello again,

Yes, I am an attorney licensed in multiple states and federal courts. You can view my profile at this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Under these circumstances, one would typically file a motion for clarification from the court since you are not seeking to modify the order but for the court to interpret the language of the order. Yes you would typically serve a copy of the motion on the opposing attorney so their client has an opportunity to respond and defend on the motion at a hearing if they so choose.

Here is a link which provides a sample copy of a motion for clarification:

http://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/18th_Judicial_District/18th_Cour ts/12CR1522/12CR1522%20People%27s%20Motion%20%28P-7%29%20Motion%20to%20Clarify%20Court%20Order%20Re%20Motion%20to%20Limit%20Pre-Trial%20Publicity%20%28D-2%29.pdf

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that particular URL does not work, but i can probably find it. I've filed several motions (with pretty good success rate), so i know how to word them. Is the title of the document "Motion to Clarify Prior Ruling"? I know things get thrown out because they are not filed correctly.

Hello again,

Here is the link again as a hyper-link so you can just click on it to get to the document instead of pasting it in your browser. I just tried it and it does work for me but you need Adobe Reader to view it:

http://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/18th_Judicial_District/18th_ Courts/12CR1522/12CR1522%20People%27s%20Motion%20%28P-7%29%20Motion%20to%20Clarify%20Court%20Order%20Re%20Motion%20to%20Limit%20Pre-Trial%20Publicity%20%28D-2%29.pdf

It is styled as a Motion for Clarification of Order Re: (then set out the name of the order you are seeking to have clarification on from the court).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry i see it now: "Motion for Clarification of Order re:"

thanks much

You are very welcome and thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.