ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Would a divorce in Russia be recognized in the USA? I am a

Would a divorce in Russia be recognized in the USA? I am a US citizen and my wife has dual citizenship of both Russian and the US. We were married in the USA, but we both reside in Russia with our two children. I only have a business VISA to be able to live there and no residency.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

A divorce in any country, so long in compliance with local laws and not against the public policy of the United States, would absolutely be recognized in the USA. Something against the public policy would be a "common law divorce" where local custom allows someone to divorce just by saying they are...There would still need to be official governmental action granting it, but yes, it will absolutely be recognized and binding in the US.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate this answer either a 3, 4, or 5 (good or better). Please note that I do not get any credit for this answer unless and until you rate it that way. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

Would you look over http://divorceinrussia.com/divorce.htm which gives how the proceeding is done in Russia, and let me know if in fact we follow the legal requirements there, that it would be accepted in the USA.

ScottyMacEsq :

I am not a Russian law expert, and I am not going to even attempt to give an opinion as to Russian law (we're not allowed to do that) but assuming that both spouses consent, and there's no special situations (i.e. mental illness by one of the spouses) then I cannot see how a state would not recognize that. I've never seen that happen.