Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

Following up... Right now mother handles his SS funds, shes

Following up... Right now mother handles his SS funds, she's trying to get it where he can handle them himself and not need a guardian for the SS Admin... Does this change the guardianship for the property if she is able to have him control his SS money?

Chris T., JD :

Hello. Thanks for requesting me.

Chris T., JD :

As long as the legal guardianship has not been removed, it does not change anything. I assume she gives him very limited responsibility with his money.

Customer:

Yes, very limited or he would spend whatever he has or his kids would talk him out of it... And we're not talking a lot of money or even value for the property...

Customer:

But her goal is to have him able to manage his money when she passes... I'm not sure if that will work but she's thinking that she can release the SS part and still keep someone from taking his property

Chris T., JD :

The only danger this could be something his children use to argue at some point down the road that he is not in need of a guardianship, and his guardianship should be removed. If that happened, he would have the power to contract.

Customer:

Okay, so then how can I protect the property so he has a place to live and no one can get to it until he passes... His kids can have it after that, I don't really care...

Chris T., JD :

The key here is to keep it under a guardianship, or your mother can pass it to you, trusting that you'll allow him to live there for the remainder of his life.

Customer:

Okay, I'll talk to her... thanks...

Chris T., JD :

Glad I could help.