AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

MY ex husband has just informed me that he is bankrupt this

MY ex husband has just informed me that he is bankrupt this happened a few years ago and according to our divorce judgment he was supposed to notify me right away. Is he still responsible for our son's college? He is remarried and his wife works as well, is her income considered?. I have never received any alimony or child support, as we made approximately the same amount and had joint custody. However he was supposed to show me his W2 every year, which he never did. I know now that he is making approximately 12,000 more than me. We have been divorced for about 12 years and I have paid for my son's health and dental care the entire time while he was to pay for his child care which since my son is 17 hasn't needed for several years. Am I entitled to any compensation?
Thank you for your time and efforts!
Sincerely,
Tracie Harmon
Hi, Tracie, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing family law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

MY ex husband has just informed me that he is bankrupt this happened a few years ago and according to our divorce judgment he was supposed to notify me right away. Is he still responsible for our son's college? Yes. When one files for bankruptcy, only the debts that they included in that filing and that were expressly discharged in that bankruptcy, are excused - not future debts that don't even exist.

He is remarried and his wife works as well, is her income considered?. Under certain circumstances, it can be considered in that her payment of part of the bills means he is not footing them all himself. However, she can not be forced to pay his debt to you, if any.

I have never received any alimony or child support, as we made approximately the same amount and had joint custody. OK, so he owes you nothing at this point, it sounds like.

However he was supposed to show me his W2 every year, which he never did. Your option was to file a motion to enforce that obligation, if you wanted to.

I know now that he is making approximately 12,000 more than me. We have been divorced for about 12 years and I have paid for my son's health and dental care the entire time while he was to pay for his child care which since my son is 17 hasn't needed for several years. Am I entitled to any compensation? If he is supposed to share the costs of medical and dental, as per your decree, yes, you can file to enforce that and get a money judgment in the amount that you can prove you spent. However, if your decree was such that you pay health/dental and he pays child care for as long as needed, then you may have nothing to enforce if he did, indeed, pay for any demanded child care.

Thank you for your time and efforts! You are welcome Tracie. Have a terrific weekend. I am about to hop over the PA border into NJ in a couple of ours for an appointment in the Chester area - I hope the temperature gets warmer soon! It is freezing out there.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Alexia Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Your online legal resource!