Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West

my boyfriend and i recently broke up due to him not going to

my boyfriend and i recently broke up due to him not going to work, helping out with the bills and multiple episodes of verbal abuse to myself and my kids. His name is XXXXX XXXXX the lease, never has been, he does not have a key and he is actually still legally married to his last wife. he left last wednesday and I gave him most of his clothes and his daily need stuff. however, he seems to think that he is going to come here whenever he wants and is going to get furniture and yard tools and tools in general.......he promised to still help with the bills that were due on the first which he has not and i'm not going to let him get anything else except personal affects, does he have any rights
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Roger :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Roger :

If he's not on the lease, then he's nothing more than a houseguest, and his ability to live there/come there is contingent on you giving him permission. If you tell him that he's no longer welcome and to get his things and go, he must do so.

Roger :

If he refuses to leave, you could file civil trespassing charges against him and get a court order directing him to leave.

Customer:

what about the furniture and stuff that he wants? does he any right to any of that?

Roger :

He's only entitled to recover the property that he owns.

Customer:

so if he had furniture before we got together and it is here, he can get that stuff? even if he still owes money on bills?

Roger :

That's right. He can recover these things.

Customer:

only when I am here and allow him in correct?

Roger :

Yes. You can make him come get his things while you're there. He has no right to come when you're not home.

Customer:

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much!

Roger :

Sure. Glad to help.

Roger :

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West