Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

At what age of a child is a parent no longer responsible for

At what age of a child is a parent no longer responsible for child support payments?

Thank you for your question. My name is Ellen. So that I can provide you with accurate information, please tell me whether the child support order was issued in Illinois or if not what it was issued in

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The child support was established in Illinois

Thank you for your response. Child support is governed by 750 ILCS 5/513. Pursuant to the statute child support terminates at age 18 unless the child is enrolled in high school, in which case it is extended to age 19. However the court may order additional educational expenses to continue after the age of majority through a bachelor degree

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The children in question are all 21 or older. (My niece's and nephew). My brother recently got on SSI disability and is still paying child support. How does he get this to end or is he required to continue paying since the girls are still in college?

If your brother was ordered to pay educational expenses, he will need to continue to pay until the girls obtain their BS. If paying the educational expenses is a hardship due to his disability, he will need to file a petition with the court requesting the termination of educational expenses
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your assistance!

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.