Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

My husband has 2 sons. His ex wife has filed for support even

My husband has 2 sons. His ex wife has filed for support even when the kids were living with us. He recently went to court for driving on a suspended license and the judge told him that she has been receiving child support up until recently, when Jake the youngest lived with us and attended high school. It's a long story but he owes back child support and his license was suspended. He was told by a police officer that now that his kids are both over 18. He can get his license back. Is this true?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but that is not quite true. Support arrears (if owed above a certain amount) permit the state to suspend the license. The state CAN choose to potentially reinstate the license if the individual makes good faith payments and attempts to catch up with obligations, but the suspension is not somehow immediately lifted or withdrawn, it only truly is removed when the arrears are repaid.

I am sorry!