How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger , Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30801
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mothers engagement ring and wedding band was thrown away

Resolved Question:

My mother's engagement ring and wedding band was thrown away when she was in a hospital She had her rings for 64 years. The hospital, while showing sympathy for this happening, has not done well with answering questions and in giving information on procedure - I have had to ask for everything, it has not been volunteered. If there is a need for an advocate/lawyer I am not sure how to find a good person. I am also not sure how to determine what the hospital should do for my mother. There is also a problem of monetary compensation and mother's public assistance. The location is in Minneapolis, MN. THANKS
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Thanks - what do you have to say

Roger : The biggest obstacle if you were to sue is being able to prove that (1) the rings were with your mother at the hospital and (2) that the hospital staff or a staff member, employee, etc. is responsible for losing the rings.
Roger : Any time property is lost in this type of situation, it is very difficult to hold someone responsible.

The paperwork that was filled out (although limited) says that she had the rings and that they were removed prior to a procedure in the OR (removed in the prep room) They apparently were in a bag with her dentures - they were brought to the room and the dentures were given to her and the bag was thrown away. The floor nurse admits to this

Roger : If the rings were insured, a claim should be filed with the insurance company as well. I understand that the money/worth of the rings is not what you're after as these rings have a significant amount of sentimental value, but that should be done as well.

I am assuming that the rings were under the household insurance but they was not a specific listing for her rings.

Roger : If you have a written admission that acknowledges that the rights were removed by hospital staff and that hospital staff threw the rings away, then that would certainly give her legal grounds to hold the hospital responsible.
Roger : If the hospital has admitted liability, but cannot find the rings, then she should demand that they pay her for the loss.
Roger : If the hospital refuses or offers a token amount, the only thing she could do is sue.

There is also no documentation on the rings and their worth - since purchase they have not left her finger except for the time she had the resized which was quite a long time ago - not sure how much replacement cost would be

Roger : You would likely need to get a local jeweler who appraised the rings to determine their worth to give you a replacement cost.

I only know basic information - they were yellow gold, engraved with initials, the diamond was .35 but don't know the clarity/etc. of the ring. For myself looking on line, I estmiated $1,000 for the rings and $800 for the diamond - but not sure how accurate that is.

Roger : Ok.
Roger : If the rings are insured, the insurance policy should have a value set by an appraisal.
Roger : Also, if you have a basic idea of the rings, you can probably get a reasonable estimate to replace the items.

So I guess I need to talk with a reputable jeweler(s) and get an estimate for replacement - if that what you are saying. When my parents did insurance there was a general category for misc. jewelry but not an appraisal for the rings at that time. My mother just keeps saying that she paid $12 for Dad's ring - I remind her that gold has greatly increased in value in 64 years.

Roger : Yes, that's probably the best you can do if you don't have any value-related information on the rings.

OK - so I need to get an estimate on replacement - if the hospital is cooperative and if they only offer a token - how do I go about finding an attorney for this situation?


Correction - if the hospital is UNcooperative

Roger : IF the hospital isn't willing to make things right and pay your mother the cost of replacement, then you can look up a local attorney at
Roger : You would need a general civil litigation attorney.

Do you think that that the hospital would be willing to make compensation for her emotional state about the rings?

Roger : Short of filing a lawsuit, probably no.

My mother has indicated that being 89 years old and with my dad gone, she doesn't know if she would want to fully replace the rings - She had planned to pass them down to me or a granddaughter - it would be her decision on what to do with the replacement money isn't that right

Roger : yes

To recap: Get an estimate on the replacement cost for the rings


Second: See what the hospital will do as compensation - if not right contact a lawyer and sue them for the cost. Anthing else?

Roger : That's pretty much it.
Roger : If you've got an admission from the hospital, you're way ahead of the game,

The admission was primarily verbal but it does indicate that the incident happened in the OR/prep room where no family was as they did not inform us that the procedure would be happening. The paper also indicates that the floor nurse Cathy searched garbage for the rings. Anyways - thank you for your help May be mom will be feeling better as she keeps saying the rings are gone and the doing hospital will be doing nothing. I know that hospitals are hard to get compensation from. THANKS again

Roger : Sure. Glad to help -- and GOOD LUCK.
Roger : If you need anything further, please let me know.



Wil do

Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30801
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions