LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

I was threatened by my ex husbands live in girlfriend. She

I was threatened by my ex husband's live in girlfriend. She was threatening, verbally abusive, and brought her adult daughter to back her up. What can I do? This happened on school grounds, I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

LegalGems :

Good Day! I'm a Family Law expert here at JA and will do my best to assist you. Please remember, though, I can only provide general information. I am sorry to hear of this. Were there any witnesses, or was a school incident or police report filed?

Customer:

I only informed my lawyer of this. Her adult daughter was the only witness.

Customer:

I am in the process of suing my ex over another issue and my lawyer feels that addressing this will muddy the waters.

Customer:

I am left feeling very helpless and victimized.

LegalGems :

There are a couple of basis for receiving a restraining order - harassment (verbal) or physical. The problem is one of proof (although nowadays many schools have video cameras). If you can prove the incident occurred to the satisfaction of a judge, you could get a restraining order against the girlfriend. Since it is her daughter that witnessed it, she likely would not testify (at least not honestly).

LegalGems :

It will "muddy" the waters in the sense that it will require an additional hearing, and in the sense that it will increase the adversity of the legal proceeding; but from a legal perspective, it should not have any effect on the substantive issues.

Customer:

This was in the parking lot, and yes, I was told that about her daughter.

LegalGems :

You may want to check with the school to see if they video the lot. Then if they do, you would need to file a request for a restraining order, and you can ask the court to order the school to release the video (if they do in fact video the lot).

Customer:

My lawyer basically told me to write my own cease and desist letter and have it served on her.

Customer:

I don't think that has a lot of impact to a bully.

LegalGems :

A cease and desist is one way to handle it; however, I would request an attorney to write it as then it has more gumption so to speak. If your attorney is not willing to do so, I would suggest you hire another attorney to handle at least this aspect of the case. I would also ask for clarification as to the muddy water comment, because harassment can have an effect on custody/visitation. For example, if the judge issues a restraining order against her, that would likely be considered in any custody/visitation concerns, since the court generally does not want a minor around an adult that disparages a parent.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks.

I hope you found the information I provided useful. In case the conduct continues, here's some information that should prove helpful: http://www.victimsofcrime.org/our-programs/stalking-resource-center/stalking-laws/criminal-stalking-laws-by-state/maryland and http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=530&state_code=MD#content-14936

Future requests can be labeled "TO LEGAL GEMS" followed by your question.

It would be appreciated if you complete the admin's survey - it's like our report card!

Thanks, and take care!