LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

daughter wants to married her best friend, since she under

daughter wants to married her best friend, since she under age we have to give parental consent and the UK they don't consider it marriage rather civil union or partnership. Since she is a US citizen and wants to bring her partner back to the USA to live.
Would immigration acknowledge her partnership as they have known each other for 3 years and are inseparable , current administration have said they will treat sex marriages the same as heterosexual. Part of this question is family and I know the other is an immigration issue.

LegalGems :

Good Day! I'm a Family Law expert here at JA and will do my best to assist you. Please remember, though, I can only provide general information. One moment please as I review your question.

LegalGems :

You are correct in that same sex marriages are treated the same as heterosexual marriages. Immigration would acknowledge the partnership. There are different forms depending on whether one intends to bring over a fiance or a spouse. The US does recognize marriages that take place outside of the US.

LegalGems :

Let me get you the relevant information.

LegalGems :

Here is information on the validity of marriages abroad: http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html Here is the process on how to get a visa for the fiance/spouse: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

Customer:

Thank you for answering my question, so as far as you can tell even though my daughter and her partner would be only 16 there civil partnership or marriage owuld be recognized in the USA, then it is only the issue of deal with USICS.

LegalGems :

Yes that is correct, as valid marriages out side of the US are generally recognized here in the US. The key is generally the validity in the country of origin.

Customer:

On the UK side I am OK on, it's pretty cut and dry on what they accept.

LegalGems :

OK perfect, as we are not familiar with other country's regulations.

I hope you found the information I provided useful.
Future requests can be labeled "TO LEGAL GEMS" followed by your question.

It would be appreciated if you complete the admin's survey - it's like our report card!

Thanks, and take care!

PS - many thanks for the bonus-much appreciated!