Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

In Texas under HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE 573.002 it states that

In Texas under HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE 573.002 it states that a officer who has taken a person into custody must file an application for detention. I am looking to find out if that application would be a record kept by the facility the patient is taken to, by a judge/ majestrate, the DA's office or some other agency. Also what else the officer is required to file or other statements like a Application for Protective Order Without a Warrant APOWW and where these documents would be requested from.

Chris T., JD :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

do you have any question about what I am trying to find out?

Chris T., JD :

No, I'm just looking a few things up.

Chris T., JD :

What county is this in?

Customer:

collin

Chris T., JD :

The application would have been filed with the court, but it is under seal for now.

Chris T., JD :

Do you plan to have a hearing on this?

Customer:

this was in dec 2012. there was no hearing that I was aware of. during any of this

Chris T., JD :

Oh. This isn't a current case?

Customer:

No, this is being investgated because of the departmental policies used and the conduct of the officer involved so I am looking to try and find a confirmation that the application was even filed.

Chris T., JD :

If this matter was not litigated, and you were not the person who was the target of the order, it will be very difficult to obtain. Mental health records - even in an affidavit of this nature - are almost impossible to obtain since it involves private mental health information.

Chris T., JD :

However, if the officer witnessed something happening, he should have written a separate report, which you could obtain using an open records request.

Chris T., JD :

The application and order would normally be sealed. If there were not, they would be with the judge that issued the order.

Customer:

As a person who was the target of the order can they obtain these records?

Chris T., JD :

That person could petition the court to unseal the records. The court may do so for "good cause" shown.

Customer:

I really appreciate the information.

Chris T., JD :

Glad to help. Do you have any questions?

Customer:

You answered this one, but I do have another should I close this and start another question since it is different?

Chris T., JD :

If it pertains to a different matter, yes. However, you can direct it to me by posting your question here.

Customer:

I will do that

Chris T., JD :

OK. Great. If there isn't anything else I can do for you on this question, please remember to "rate" my answer.