Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

In California, my wife and I intend to sign a post-nuptial

In California, my wife and I intend to sign a post-nuptial agreement. Is it enough for our signatures to be notarized, or does it make a difference to have an additional 2 witnesses?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

having witnesses can be useful if a question comes up in the future, but it is not mandatory. It is not mandatory that a Prenuptial Agreement be notarized, although acknowledgments before a notary public are the norm on Prenuptial Agreements. Having it notarized will provide greater protection in the future because a notary ensures validates the parties to an agreement, and keeps a record of the signing of the agreement. In addition a notarized document is required to enable the Prenuptial Agreement to be recorded by the County Recorder if desired.

Please rate my response 3 or better so I may get compensation for my response. Rating my response will not cause additional charges to you. If you have follow up questions please ask.