Erin M. JD
Erin M. JD, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practice Family Law in Texas
74472731

We are US Citizens in Texas and thinking of getting married

We are US Citizens in Texas and thinking of getting married in the British Virgins Islands. Will our marriage license be recognized in Texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Erin M. JD replied 1 year ago.

Erin M. JD :

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with this matter! If you obtain a marriage license and are married in the Virgin Islands, Texas gives full faith and credit to your marriage as long as it was valid in the Virgin Islands. It doesn't matter where you marry for Texas to give full faith and credit as long as it is a valid marriage.

Customer:

How would it be valid in the British Virgin Islands? Is it true that marrying in a foreign country will not affect my credit rating?

Erin M. JD :

One moment and I will try to find the requirements for marriage in the Virgin Islands. I don't believe your credit rating is going to be affected just because you are married in a different country.

Customer:

My fiance has bad credit rating, does not want to hurt my good rating by us getting married in the US, so he suggested British Virgin Islands.

Customer:

okay thanks

Erin M. JD :

http://www.bvitourism.com/rules-requirements This site discusses the requirements. You only have to be a citizen/present in the Virgin Islands for one day in order to request a marriage license that is valid internationally.

Erin M. JD :

I've never heard anything about the country of marriage affecting your credit rating. However, if he has bad credit and you have good credit, you will want to consider getting things in your own name without him being on the credit, or not putting your name as a cosigner for him on things he obtains.

Customer:

I am deaf so it takes a moment to understand/comprehend... you mean you have to be a citizen of British for the marriage license to be valid in TExas?

Erin M. JD :

No, you only have to be present in the Virgin Islands for one day before you can request a marriage license. You do not have to be British, but you have to either be a citizen or be present for one day before obtaining the marriage license, and you have to show proof of when you arrived.

Customer:

Oh I see! Okay... I do plan to keep finances separate for the first few years due to my working hard for everthing.

Erin M. JD :

The website address I provided also gives you the procedure for obtaining a marriage license there.

Customer:

What would be the reason he wants to get married in British Virgin Islands if it will not affect my credit rating by getting married in the US? I like to be frugal.

Customer:

(I know it's more of a personal question.. he asked this morning and I don't know who to ask in case they start getting suspicious)

Customer:

(of his motives, i guess).

Erin M. JD :

I'm trying to see if I can find an answer to that question. It may have to do with the U.S. Credit Reporting system, but it doesn't seem like it would make a difference if you are both from, and live in, the U.S.

Customer:

That isi pretty much my last question :)

Customer:

Okay so I need to research the US Credit Reporting System... I think i saw that but again, I didn't really understand it.

Customer:

He said when we get married my credit rating would take a hit

Erin M. JD :

I haven't found anything about that issue. I am going to provide a link for you about your Equal Credit Opportunity Rights that state that creditors do not even have the right to information about your spouse unless they will be on the account or have access to it, and that you can obtain credit under your maiden name. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0347-your-equal-credit-opportunity-rights If your credit takes a hit when you get married, I don't believe that getting married in a different country is going to affect that.

Customer:

Awesome... that is so helpful... thank you for pointing me in good directions... I shall go from here. Appreciate it, Erin. I may call on you again if I can get you again in the future this way.

Customer:

I think that's all I need... so I will say good bye and do some research. Thank you again!

Erin M. JD :

Ok, that is just fine. I'm glad to help you with anything else you might need. Good luck with your wedding!! Please rate my response so I can receive credit for helping you, and don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have. Congratulations on the engagement!

Customer:

Aww thanks! Sure will do.

Customer:

Will hang up now.. good bye thanks again

Erin M. JD :

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Erin M. JD, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Practice Family Law in Texas