Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

can i recuse myself as a parent? the other parent wants nothing

can i recuse myself as a parent? the other parent wants nothing more than to keep my son away from me. I want to know if i can just say that i want nothing more to do with her or the child and walk away?
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

Please tell me

1 - are you on the birth certificate

2 - have you been helping to financially support the child?

3 - do you have a bonding relationship with the child?

4 - is the Mother able to financially support the child without state assistance, if you are no longer involved?

5 - are you married to the Mother?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1.yes

2. have tried, mother wouldn't cooperate

3. she keeps him from me. doesnt let me see him what-so-ever.

4. i beleive so

5. was never married to her.

currently in court process. tired of the back and fourth. just want to give her what she wants

Hello

Thank you

If there is no court order obligating you to pay Child Support and you have no relationship with the child, then you can walk away.

However, note that the Mother can take action to bring a Child Support issue to court and have the court order support.

Of course, you also have the right to file for visitation with the child and eventually custody if that is what you want

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to be clear, i would have to propose this to her? in writting?i want to make her happy and just be out of the picture for good, not on birth certificate, no child support, no contact

Hello

You can write her a letter and tell her that since she does not want you to be a part of the child's life, you are out of the picture. That you will not be trying to contact her or the child again.

I suggest that, again, if she wants to pursue child support she still can

In other words, there is no legal way other than having someone else adopt the child to get out of the responsibilities should the Mother pursue them.