Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

my husband wants to divorce me. i am an artist and fully trusted

my husband wants to divorce me. i am an artist and fully trusted him so i don't have anything under my name except one of the properties. no money etc.
Good Morning,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a New York licensed attorney. I understand that your husband would like to obtain a divorce. What is the legal question that I can assist with concerning the situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't make any money and he has a big company

I see. How long have you been married? What specifically do you want to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I continue waiting for your response or we are done?

I have not yet received a question from you! Perhaps it was lost in the system? What specific legal question can I answer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what rights do I have? He has a big company and I don't know what to start with,,, what kind of rights do i have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

should i try make him to support me? and how long?

Thank you Yelena.

The business and other assets may be marital assets subject to equitable division by a court.

Here is why.

New York is an equitable distribution state. This means that in the event of a divorce the "marital property" is "equitably" divided by the court. Property that is "separate property" is not divided by the court.

Separate property (not subject to property division) includes inheritances, property owned before the marriage, personal injury awards, and gifts given to only one spouse.

Marital property (subject to equitable distribution) is basically anything that is not considered to be separate property and most income and appreciation on separate property that occurred during the marriage. Income attributable to the efforts of either spouse is marital property.

An "equitable distribution" means fair, not equal although it often is. The court in determining what is fair looks at the duration of the marriage, the assets and liabilities of the spouses, the monetary and nonmonetary contributions of each spouse and any other factor that the court expressly finds to be relevant and equitable.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are there lawyers whom you pay after they help you to win your case?

You may be able to work a payment plan out with an attorney. However do not be overly concerned with the cost of your attorney. A good litigator may be able to have your husband pay his fees. You will want to retain the best attorney that your husband's money can buy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do i save al your answers?

I believe that a copy of our conversation is automatically sent to the e-mail that you provided to the site. Also you can always come back to this link and/or print the page.

I noticed that you are a new subscriber - this means that you can come back and ask additional questions at no additional charge. Please leave a positive rating now and then you made directly send your new questions to me by using this link:

It has been my pleasure to work with you. I look forward to working with you again in the future