Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

What do I do to establish mediation for child custody of a

What do I do to establish mediation for child custody of a baby ? Parents are not married and are splitting up. They want 50/50 sharing of expenses and care of baby. Need to formalize an agreement.

Legalease :

Hello there. What county are they located there in Illinois? There are many competent family mediators in Illinois and I can refer you to a few of them.

Legalease :

Hello -- are you still there?

Customer:

They are living in Kankakee county. Does my son need a lawyer mediator or a counselor mediator?

Legalease :

My suggestion is that he try to find a reasonably priced lawyer mediator first because then if things start to get testy between the two of them the lawyer can write up an agreement that they both sign which can be filed with the family court and it becomes an actual court order. It is always better to have a court order in these matters in case there are any issues or problems in the future.

Customer:

Is there a list of lawyer mediators in Kankakee County?

Legalease :

They can go right to the Kankakee county court which has a mediation center and they can refer your son to appropriate lawyer mediators in the area -- I think this is his best option. Here is a link -- http://www.k3advocacy.com/advocacy.htm

Customer:

Does he need a VAP or birth certificate?

Legalease :

If he wants to assert paternity then yes, he does need to be listed on the birth certificate or have signed a VAP. You said he was listed as the father of the child so I thought that he had one of these?

Legalease :

Hello?

Legalease :

Do you have further questions that you need answered? If not, can you please press a positive rating so that I will be paid for my time in assisting you today? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating. THANK YOU