Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

How long would one expect spousal support to last for a marriage

How long would one expect spousal support to last for a marriage of 13 years, the wife was a stay at home mom of two children, homeschooling. The husband has w2 income of 450k/yr not including rental income. The wife now has income of 5k/yr w2 income, as well as, roughly 17K/yr variable investment income.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 months ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to discussing this and providing information in this regard

This is not black and white because there are many factors considered under CA LAW and you can use this link to read it

But the point is that the court will consider the duration of the marriage, the income of both parties to determine is the standard of living can be maintained without the support or if the support is needed to help maintain that standard of living.

With that being said, please note that if the Wife was a stay at home Mom and she is not skilled or educated to be able to get out and find substanial employment, permanent support could be issued.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The wife has a degree, however, it is unusable as she never worked after obtaining the degree. Additional education would definitely be needed to make those skills marketable at all.

Is there a way to estimate a rough amount of support that would be expected with the above given incomes, with similar expenses by both parties?

Hello

Unfortunately, I cannot begin to determine even a rough estimate on spousal support

The only guidelines would be what is in the CA Code at that blue link I provided for you
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.