Erin M. JD
Erin M. JD, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practice Family Law in Texas

do I need to complete a discovery to pay child support from

do I need to complete a discovery to pay child support from another state
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Erin M. JD replied 8 months ago.

Erin M. JD :

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you with this matter! Were you given a Request for Production to produce other documents? A lot of times, you will be asked to produce tax returns from 2-3 years prior to the order so your child support can be calculated more accurately.

Erin M. JD :

Are you being ordered to pay current support or current as well as back child support?

Customer:

Im am not sure what the attorney is trying to do bit, I hadf to give custody to my ex husband because I had to relocate due to a job transfer. He asked for me to complete a discovery and give 1 year of taxes, what is going on

Customer:

I was sending my ex funds regularly

Erin M. JD :

Were you court-ordered to pay the support to your ex or were you just send it as agreed upon without a court order?

Customer:

I was just sending it to him as he asked me to do

Erin M. JD :

It sounds like the attorney is just trying to get your income information so he can accurately calculated what you should be court-ordered to pay. Some attorneys will ask you to provide the information without sending you a discovery requests, but some will send a formal request so that you have to provide the information.

Erin M. JD :

It doesn't sound like he's necessarily up to anything.

Customer:

can I send in my check stubs, why wouldnot they be enough

Customer:

why wouldn't check subs be enough. my ex does not need to know how much I pay for rent

Customer:

or does he

Erin M. JD :

To get an accurate picture of your income, your last year's income tax return is needed because it shows your income last year and whether your income for this year has gone up or down. If it was lower last year and you are making more money this year, it would go up. I don't know the specifics on what is considered in calculating your support in Illinois. In most states, child support is not based on anything to do with your rent and other bills. I am going to opt out and open your question up to other experts that may be more familiar with that particular question in your state. I hope you get the answer you need. You will want to wait to rate an answer until you are satisfied with the services. Otherwise, you will be charged for each answer you rate.

Customer:

okay, I understand clearly what you have described and I thank u... Am I required to fill out this discovery. otherwise, I will send tax documents

Erin M. JD :

If you were sent the discovery, you have 30 days to answer (unless you were served with it when you were served with a suit - then it's 50 days) or the attorney can file a Motion to Compel requiring you to produce the documents and asking that you pay his attorney fees.

Erin M. JD, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Practice Family Law in Texas
Hi, Laurie.

I just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going answering the discovery requests that your ex's attorney sent you. Please let me know if you need anything further.