Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

A friend of our sons is in a very bad home situation. In

A friend of our son's is in a very bad home situation. In fact, she and her sister lived with us last summer for 3 months because they did not have electricity and therefore, no running water and DYFS became involved. The girls were put in our care as "Family Friends". She turns 18 in January and wants to move out of her home. She would like to come live with us. She will be going to college in the fall as she is a senior in high school. We would like to become her legal guardians so she could be put on our medical insurance. We live in NJ. Is this possible and what are the other legal ramifications? Thank you for your time.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, once the girl turns 18, she would be considered a legal adult and would not require any type of legal guardianship to be established, but also it would not be possible to include her on your medical insurance, since she is an adult and is not legally adopted by you.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alex, thank you for your reply. I am assuming that her mother would have to terminate her legal rights in order for us to adopt the girl before she turns 18. Then, once adopted, she would enjoy all benefits as do our birth children.

That is correct, but it takes time to get adoption petition filed and approved, so it would be important for you to consult and retain local adoption law attorney as soon as possible to help your review and if feasible pursue the legal adoption option.

I wish you the best of luck!