How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 22 year old son is in a county jail in Virginia (loudoun

This answer was rated:

My 22 year old son is in a county jail in Virginia (loudoun county-if that matters). He wants his father and I to obtain POA over him in that we can speak to attorneys on his behalf and handle other matters when/if necessary.

How would we go about obtaining POA if he is in jail? Doesn't he have to execute the documents himself?
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

All the power of attorney requires is your son's notarized signature. The POA forms are available off the internet and either a notary can show up to the prison to observe your son sign the document, or perhaps the prison has a notary on staff.

Once complete the document can be mailed or given to you. A POA does not have to filed with a court. It just needs to be in the possession of the Attorney in Fact.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions