Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

My 22 year old son is in a county jail in Virginia (loudoun

My 22 year old son is in a county jail in Virginia (loudoun county-if that matters). He wants his father and I to obtain POA over him in that we can speak to attorneys on his behalf and handle other matters when/if necessary.

How would we go about obtaining POA if he is in jail? Doesn't he have to execute the documents himself?
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

All the power of attorney requires is your son's notarized signature. The POA forms are available off the internet and either a notary can show up to the prison to observe your son sign the document, or perhaps the prison has a notary on staff.

Once complete the document can be mailed or given to you. A POA does not have to filed with a court. It just needs to be in the possession of the Attorney in Fact.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).