Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I live in California, my wife and I have been separated several

I live in California, my wife and I have been separated several years, ( not a legal separation ).

When we divorce how do we establish the value of our assets, our home, our savings, and our 401 k, are they based on the value at the time of our separation or the date of our divorce.

Thanks

Chris T., JD :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Chris T., JD :

From a legal perspective, physical separation is irrelevant. In other words, the law does not consider physical separation as a point at which assets' value should be determined.

Chris T., JD :

So, the value of your assets are determined from the point you file for divorce, not when you became physically separated.

Customer:

Thank you for your quick response.

Chris T., JD :

However, you still should ask the judge to consider the fact that you were physically separated when determining what is a fair distribution of the assets.