Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

How much does it cost to get married in NJ? No hoopla, just

How much does it cost to get married in NJ? No hoopla, just the necessities.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

You are in the LEGAL category. Did you mean to ask this question in the WEDDING category?

If this is the right section, are you asking about how much it costs to get a license from the county? If so, what county?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The county is Middlesex County. I didn't know there was a wedding

JustAnswer has a lot of categories! So yes, there is.

I can tell you how much a marriage license is if this is what you want, and/or other aspects of the requirements for marriage in that county.

However, to discuss the actual possible cost of a wedding, I'd need to transfer you to the Wedding category.

Which would you prefer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm really only interested in requirements and costs of the requirements for the county right now. If they can answer that for me then you can transfer me, but if not, I'd like for you to tell me. I've asked you questions before and you are very thorough.

Thank you for your kind words, C!

To get a marriage license in Middlesex, NJ, the cost is $28.00, and the license is from the Registrar of Vital Statistics.

New Jersey does have a three day waiting period. For weekend weddings, you will need to apply the Tuesday before to satisfy the three days (72 hours) by Friday.

The following may officiate the wedding:

Judges of a Federal District Court, United States magistrates, Judges of a Municipal Court, Judges of the Superior Court, Judges of a Tax Court, Retired judges of the Superior Court, Judge or the Superior or Tax Court who has resigned in good standing, any Mayor/Deputy Mayor or Chairman of any Township Committee, Village President of New Jersey, County Clerks, and every minister of every religion. At the time you apply for your marriage license you will have to provide the name of who is going to marry you, where, and when, and an address and phone number for the officiant.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the only cost is the $28 for the license? Is a blood test still required? And you can get married in any county?

Thank you for your follow up.

Yes, the cost is $28 for the license.

No blood test is required for the marriage license.

Yes, the marriage can take place in any county of NJ, but the marriage license has to be taken out from the county where either (or both) parties live.

Finally - if one or both of the applicants is divorced, bring a copy of the final decree for examination by the registrar or a statement by the judge as to when the final decree was signed. A form of identification (birth certificate, passport or picture driver’s license) is required for both the bride and groom.

Let me know if you need anything else!