Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I am in NJ and my wife is refusing to allow our daughter to

I am in NJ and my wife is refusing to allow our daughter to attend school functions because she has visitation every weekend Fri-Sun and the entire summer. We were in agreement when we went to court our daughter would be able to manage time appropriately by asking mom. Mom was in agreement (not on paper). Most school functions, events with other children happen on the weekend. She is not leaving room for flexibility even for a few hours. My responsibility is to drive our daughter to her and I am willing to meet her requirements if she would allow participation but both my daughter and I have been told no since it is her time. Is there anything I can do? My daughter is in a new school and has started 6th grade and is being told by my ex it is her fault since she made the decision to choose to go to school at dad's. I am thinking I should go back and ask for every other weekend or at least one weekend for my daughter to build relationships with her peers. She has no friends at mom's and stays indoors with her mom and little sister all weekend. I do not want to end up with a resentful child who will eventually say she doesn't want to go because all choices are being taken even school sponsored ones. Mom has put it in writing in email that nothing, including school functions on Friday nights, can be attended on "her" time. 

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 10 months ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

Yes, it is always in the child's best interest to allow extra curriculars and social activity and so I suggest that you could go back for a modification requesting that you be given every other weeked in the best interest of your child's growth.

I suggest that at the very least you have the court Order the Mother to take her to those activities even on her weekends.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.