Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

Hello, my friend gets harassing calls from his friends ex girlfriend.

Hello, my friend gets harassing calls from his friends ex girlfriend. She screams and makes threats if he doesnt response to her calls or emails. She is from China. She wants him to be her boyfriend but he doesnt have same feeling for her. She has been using different phone numbers to reach him. He is very stressed, afraid of her and doesnt know what she would do next? What should he do?
thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. You said that your friend's ex-girlfriend is from China. Is she in China right now?

Customer:

Yes

Brandon M. :

Is your friend in China as well?

Customer:

No

Brandon M. :

Where is your friend located?

Customer:

Australia

Brandon M. :

You said that she "makes threats". What threats has she made?

Customer:

I just know that she has made some threats from the conversations

Brandon M. :

I understand that you may not have all of the information. Details help, but we will do the best that we can with the information we have.

Customer:

thanks

Brandon M. :

The law can only do so much in these situations. When someone commits the sort of crime that you are describing, it is usually unenforceable over international waters. Even if criminal wrongdoing occurs and even if it can be proven, the logistics of prosecuting such a crime are usually prohibitive. If your friend believes that he may be in danger, he needs to report the events to law enforcement--to tell them what has happened and what continues to happen. This will document the event and allow them to take action if any actual harm befalls him, and it will also lay the groundwork to prosecute her if she ever enters Australia again.

Brandon M. :

However, while she is in China, the likelihood of any action being taken against her is extremely low. As I said, the law can only do so much, and his best bet to be left alone is probably to get a new phone number.

Brandon M. :

I don't know what sort of threats she is making, so it is difficult to address how to neutralize the specific threats. For example, if she was threatening some sort of legal action against him, he would typically have absolutely no cause for concern for a myriad of reasons, but the specific threat would have to be evaluated to rule out any legal danger.

Brandon M. :

If she was threatening physical harm, we would have to examine who is actually capable of inflicting that harm, and then determine if further steps would have to occur to assure his safety.

Brandon M. :

But at this point, she is across the ocean in another country--there is probably little that can be done to her from a legal standpoint for as long as that is the case, but it is also true that the best way of dealing with her may be to simply eliminate her means of reaching him by changing his phone number.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, thank you very much for your advice.

Brandon M. :

It was my pleasure. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

That's all, thanks

Brandon M. :

You are very welcome. Take care and have a good day.

Customer:

You too

Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience: Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law