Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In MD, When the parents have a disagreement over the court

In MD, When the parents have a disagreement over the court ordered alternating schedule for the custodial time each parent has with the minor (2 years of age), what authority / obligation does the court ordered Parent Coordinator have to facilitate a resolution verses dictate a schedule as they see fit? What time frame should or could be expected for the Parent Coordinator (if appropriate) to see a resolution to the issue, and, what actions, in the mean time, should a parent take if the child is withheld when they believe it is their designated time?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

what authority / obligation does the court ordered Parent Coordinator have to facilitate a resolution verses dictate a schedule as they see fit?

A parent coordinator is a person appointed by the Court to reduce the effects of conflict on the parties’ child.

Rule 9-205.2 of the Maryland Rules, entitled "Parenting Coordination", was adopted on June 7, 2011, to define the roles and duties of a Parent Coordinator. Under this rule, they can decide post-judgment disputes by making "minor, temporary modifications to child access provisions ordered by the court," but that is about it.

Normally, if the orders are not clear, one of the parties can file for (or request a verbal) Motion for Clarification. This is not unusual and happens all the time if the parties do not agree on the verbiage of the orders. The Court then - after a quick hearing - enters a supplemental order that clarifies the original.

The Court may also do this on its own motion as well.

This is done all the time and is a motion that is rooted in common law and accepted in Maryland. An example of this may be seen in its application in Buxton v. Buxton, 770 A. 2d 152 - Md: Court of Appeals 2001, here.

What time frame should or could be expected for the Parent Coordinator (if appropriate) to see a resolution to the issue, and, what actions, in the mean time, should a parent take if the child is withheld when they believe it is their designated time?

The Parent Coordinator can often take a while. While they are supposed to act reasonably expediently to sort out an issue, often they do not. Also, they may be overruled by the Court. A party may wish to go directly to the Judge with a motion for clarification in such a matter.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your gratuity.