Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Can a married couple each buy a home in their name only?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

All property acquired by either spouse during a marriage is legally considered marital property. It is not relevant whose name is XXXXX XXXXX - if you were to later divorce, each of you would still be entitled to one-half the value of each property. The way around that is to execute a post-marital agreement, signed by both of you, where each of you agrees that the properties you purchase are the sole and separate property of one spouse. That type of agreement is enforceable.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.