Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is cps allowed to make a parent do certain things like parenting

Is cps allowed to make a parent do certain things like parenting classes, counseling, only 'one hour visit's" with the child, etc. if the case is 'unfounded'? Is this considered harassment?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Is cps allowed to make a parent do certain things like parenting classes, counseling, only 'one hour visit's" with the child, etc. if the case is 'unfounded'?

Response 1: Unfortunately, CPS can make these demands even if you think the case is unfounded. The only way that you can avoid the demands is to file lawsuit against the CPS for return of your child. It is strongly suggested that you get a family law Attorney who handles CPS issues to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Is this considered harassment?

Response 2: No, it is not.

Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Washington
What have you tried so far?: I had placed my child with a relative temporarily due to my housing issues (lack of housing I should say) prior to cps involvement. Now because of that decision the caretaker that I had chosen to help me and the cps worker are now trying to demand that I sign over temporary custody paperwork which I'm refusing to do. Although the case was unfounded the cps worker is telling me that I can only see me child supervised for an hour and that I'm not allowed to have my child. Again, I don't understand these demands if the case was unfounded. All of this has been done without a judges orders. No 'family dependency' court. I feel that quite a few of my rights have been and continue to be violated. Should I get a family lawyer even though it's not in family dependency court?

Response 3: Yes, you should get an Attorney.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no evidence of abuse or neglect and the 'parenting coach' case worker is stating that the specific things listed above are voluntary. I don't understand how they have legal grounds to tell me what I can and can't do with my child. The paperwork mentioned above (which was signed under duress) was not issued by the agency but was initially started by me and the caretaker (prior to cps involvement) but never went to court to be approved by a judge. I have been told numerous times by the cps worker that that paperwork has nothing to do with them and that it only has to do with myself and the caretaker. I'm not clear on what legal grounds the caretaker has without having that temporary paperwork approved by me and the judge? I'm assuming even though I signed the paperwork (again, signed under duress) it was not necessary to sign at all and the choice is still mine and mine alone? Can a judge ok temporary custody paperwork without me going to court and finishing the court process?

Response: No, but CPS has authority to take custody away from you or request that you do certain things to see your child without a Court Order. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is if CPS is involved and CPS is refusing to cooperate with you, the only way to resolve this is to involve an Attorney and the Court, unfortunately.