Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Here is my situation. I am under medical observation until

Here is my situation. I am under medical observation until March for epileptic seizures, but anticipate that they are under control because of my medications. A friend suggested that I buy a house rather that make plans to move into an apartment in the spring; at this time I am looking into homes for sale.
There is more. I am also involved in a suit with my auto insurance firm because a motor vehicle struck my bicycle, and am waiting for the next development. Perhaps it will be another subpoena, perhaps matters will continue into a court case.
Should I be involved with so many important things at the same time? I have to add that a house purchase will save me a lot of worry over the next several years because I can use an IRA as collateral. I am also on Social Security Disability and cannot use an IRA to pay for the assisted living facility where I now reside indefinitely, once my savings are used up.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : As long as you're not being sued in relation to the auto accident, it should really have very little relevance or impact on your purchase of a house.
Roger : It really should not be an issue for you.
Roger : As long as you feel up to it personally, doing both of these things as once should not be a problem.

That really settles the pursuit of a home. Can I use the IRA for home collateral without effect on the Social Security Disability,. ( S.S.D. ), benefits? Also, could it affect my S.S.D.benefits if I use IRA funds to continue to stay at the facility where I now live after my savings are exhausted? That is foolish, but I want to learn every option.

Roger : If you receive your Social Security Disability benefits based on your earnings, your assets -- including your IRA saving -- should not affect your SSD benefits.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful.