Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

A family with 3 adopted blood related children living in the

A family with 3 adopted blood related children living in the home (paternal grandparents to the children) have a child of 15 years of age and a child of 5 years of age living in a home with a recently legal adult that was a minor in the home. This person, 18 years of age has had problems with alcohol and drugs, is violent and has stolen from the family, neighbors and others to support the drug habit. Currently has drugs in the home, the paternal grandmother found the drugs in the 18 yr olds room, but wont do anything about it. DHR has had several anonymous complaints regarding this persons drug use and violence but has no proof, just reports. What can be done to remove the 18 year old from the property, can another complaint be filed? The 18 year old was on probation with the juvenile courts for the offenses, and was subject to random drug testing, but is no longer on probation. Removal of the trouble party would bring peace to the home and make it a safe environment for the remaining minors and the senior parents but I don't know what to tell them. Help?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

At this point under Alabama law, the 18 year old is an adult. Thus, the parents whom he is living with have to put them out of the house and they can do so by filing a suit for eviction against him if they give him written notice that he has 30 days to leave and he refuses to do so. If the parents are not willing to do so, then if you are concerned then you need to tell the parents that their failure to report this and tell the truth to DHR, THEN THEY CERTAINLY WILL LOSE THE OTHER CHILDREN because they did not cooperate with DHR and knowingly allowed the dangerous situation in their home.

Aside from those two things, all you can do to help is somehow get the evidence against the 18 year old and provide that to DHR because then DHR will intervene.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.