Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My wifes mother is having difficulty managing her finances.

My wife's mother is having difficulty managing her finances. Her kids opened up a bank account for her with she and both kids on it. It is a checking and savings but she is not on the savings. Both her social security and annuity go into this account. Is there a potential for having trouble with taxes for doing this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Just because her children are on a bank account with their mother for convenience purposes to merely protect her assets does not make the children liable for the taxes on this account. The mother will have to claim any income in this account on her taxes and as long as the mother's taxes are properly filed there is no potential tax issue with anyone.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.