Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

i found out that my soon to be ex wife was still married when

i found out that my soon to be ex wife was still married when we were married. she says she has proof that i knew. she plans on fighting me in court. what will happen?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Are you saying that she was married before she met you, never divorced, and then you got married to her as well?
.
What do you mean "she plans on fighting you in court"?
.
Why does she think you possibly having knowledge about her being married will affect things?
.
I think I am missing a little of the back story so if you could fill in the holes, I can try to help.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we were married in april and her divorce wasn't final until july. they overlapped by 3 months. she says she has letters saying i knew. "incriminating letters"

Whether you knew or not is irrelevant. When two people get married and one of them is already married, that is bigamy on the part of the already married person, which is a crime. It also makes the marriage "void ab initio" or "void from inception".
.
So from a purely legal perspective, you were never legally married so at this point, unless you later got married again after she got divorced, there is no reason for you to even file a divorce action unless you simply want to clarify that the marriage was always null and void.
.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can.

.