ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was given unsolicited information by a family friend that

I was given unsolicited information by a family friend that could prove to be very helpful in our custody case. I would like to share this information with our attorney so that he could take the steps to obtain documents that would prove it. Problem is I think the friend did something illegal in order to find the information. I do not want this person to get in trouble, they were only trying to help. Can I share the information with my attorney without putting my friend at risk?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

You can absolutely share the information with your attorney and ask that it be covered by the attorney/client privilege. Your attorney could get an idea of how to pursue this matter further, including trying to come up with a valid way to present the information that would not get your friend in trouble.

ScottyMacEsq :

An attorney only has an obligation to break privilege if he/she has information concerning a crime that will be committed or to prevent harm to another individual.

ScottyMacEsq :

For crimes that have already happened, an attorney does not have to break privilege.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!