Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

How much of a deceased wifes real and personal property does

How much of a deceased wife’s real and personal property does her surviving husband have a right to inherit under the laws of the State of Minnasota?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your loss. Did the wife have a WILL, or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was wondering what share the surviving husband can claim,

that is not defeated by any disposition of the property by will to other parties.

Thank you.

IF THERE IS NO WILL, then default rules of succession apply. You can see this here. It is the entire estate if there are no children. If there are children, then the first $150,000 and half of the estate, and so on.

IF THERE IS A WILL, then the surviving spouse can claim either what is in the Will, or, a spousal elective share. A widow(er) may elect to request a share of their deceased spouse's estate even if left out of the will.

The elective share is an amount equal to the value of the elective share percentage of the augmented estate. This percentage is determined by the length of time the spouse and the decedent were married to each other. In Minnesota, for example, if the spouses were married for one year but less than two years, then the surviving spouse can elect to three percent of the augmented estate. This percentage increases up to 50% when the spouses are married for 15 years or more. The matter follows a complex formula and will vary from 3% to 50% depending on the length of the marriage.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)