Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

We were married in Colorado in Aug, 2012 by obtaining a marriage

We were married in Colorado in Aug, 2012 by obtaining a marriage license & solemnizing our own marriage without witnesses as allowed by CO law (we raised our right hands & said something with the clerk). We live in Missouri & checked with the Recorder of Deeds in Missouri to verify our marriage was recognized by MO - they said yes. We then had a ceremony and solemnized our vows with our pastor & family in Nov, 2012 but we didn't get a MO license since we were already married.
Now my husband wants me out and said that he went back to same recorders office in MO and they are now saying CO marriage is NOT recognized by MO, that it looks more like a civil union, & that were not married. The CO marriage License is on record as a Marriage License not a civil union marriage.
Trying to find out if we are married or not according to the state we live in

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If you have a formal marriage license that specifically calls it a 'marriage' license and not as a civil union or as a common law marriage, then you are lawfully married. Other states will likewise recognize your marriage as valid. There are some very rare instances where a marriage may not be recognized so please allow me to list those conditions and point out why they are not applicable:

1. Same-sex marriage. In states that formally forbade such marriages, if you were married to a same-sex partner but moved to a state that forbids such marriages, the marriage is not recognized as valid. This is not the issue here.
2. Common law marriages. Some states recognize common law marriages out of a different state, some do not. In your case if you have a marriage certificate and you also had a ceremony, the conditions of formally obtaining a marriage are covered. This appears valid.
3. Marriages based on consanguinity. Some states allow marriages between first cousins, others with second cousins or further. Unless you have that issue, it is likewise not applicable.

So long as you properly got married in Colorado, you are married in Missouri. the states recognize each other's marriage licenses.

Hope that helps.