Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My 5 year old autistic child was put on the wrong school bus.

My 5 year old autistic child was put on the wrong school bus. What legal actions can I take?

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing and providing you information in this regard

I am sorry to hear of this situation

Please tell me

1 - there is a process in place for someone at the school to ensure he is on the correct bus?

2 - where did your son end up and how were you notified that he was on the wrong bus

3 - what response have you gotten from the school board at this time?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 - there is a process in place for someone at the school to ensure he is on the correct bus? yes, but, because they are understaffed this incident happened.

2 - where did your son end up and how were you notified that he was on the wrong bus I don't know. no one seems to have an answer. Pinellas County school called and said he was put on the wrong bus. When I asked how, they told me to call transportation. I called transportation and they told me to call the school.

3 - what response have you gotten from the school board at this time? They said they will have the Principal call me, but i've already spoken to her and she doesn't know what happened. I told them, my son will not return back to school until they have the problem corrected (teacher/student ratio)

Hello

I understand. Thank you

Well, this is not cut and dry -

First of all you are dealing with an agency of the state and as such you need to show that there has been a "loss" damages of some sort to your child to bring a lawsuit in this matter. That would be that a "Tort" occurred and resulted in harm or loss to the child. This "damage" or loss could be emotional or even mental. But you would need, of course to have a local therapist, doctor or other qualified medical professional evaluate the child to determine the extend of "harm"

With that being said, it is not unheard of to file lawsuits for these type of matters - but they are not easy - therefore, time consuming and possibly costly.

I do suggest that it is worth consulting with a local attorney who may find out more information than you or I know and would then agree to take the case on a "contingency" basis - meaning that the fee is an agreed upon percentage of your child's settlement

Please note, that it is very possible that because the staff/student ratio is lacking there is "negligence" on the part of the state and Department of Education and that would give this case merit

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!

Hello

You are welcome

Good luck with everything