Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My boyfriend of 5 years has finally had his wife server him

My boyfriend of 5 years has finally had his wife server him with divorce papers. Iv been told by my boyfriend that the other party (his wife and attorney ) has asked for my deposition in return for not bringing me I to to the law suite. I understand they want to ask about money and gifts given to me. I am willing to give my deposition but my boyfriends has told me that it is his wife has a right to be present at this deposition or at the least be skyped into this deposition. My personality is agreeable but considering the fact that during my boyfriend deposition She was present,vocal, interruptive and irate without her attorney stopping her, I am wondering .....Since I am offering up my deposition, does she have the right to be present?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Unfortunately, yes because she is a party in the case. However, this is why you should have your own Attorney present to represent your own interest to make sure that his wife is not disruptive. It is a guarantee that she would be similarly disruptive in your case and even more so since she views you as the other woman and the cause of her marriage breaking up. Even if your boyfriend's Attorney is present, you should have your own Attorney present for the deposition and make your boyfriend pay for the cost of your representation. Remember that the Attorney for your boyfriend represents only his interests despite what you may have been told or led to believe.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.