How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31566
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Rhode Island where my ex-wife also resides. We have

This answer was rated:

I live in Rhode Island where my ex-wife also resides. We have a 14 yr old daughter and we share joint custody. I want to send my daughter to a boarding school in Hilton Head SC that will accelerate her golf game. My ex-wife is dead set against it. I would be paying all the costs. Can I send my duaghter without my ex-wifes consent?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : If you have shared custody, then both of you would have to agree to send your daughter, OR if that can't be done, then you would have to file a motion with the court and ask the judge to approve this.
Kirk Adams : Generally speaking, in order to prevail, you would have to show the court that this is in the best interest of your daughter to do this.

What kind of motion are we talking about?

Kirk Adams : It would just be a motion for approval to send the child to this boarding school.
Kirk Adams : You would have to inform the court of the benefits and prove why this is in her best interest.

Do I need an attorney to do this or can I go to Family Court and do it myself?

Kirk Adams : You certainly can do this yourself, but it'd be better to get an attorney to assist you as it would give you the best opportunity to get this done.

Last question....How quickly can it generally get done?

Kirk Adams : You should be able to get this done fairly quickly.

I would need to get it done before October 15. I think it would be relatively easy to prove the benefits.

Kirk Adams : You should be able to get that done in this timeframe.

Thank've been a great help.

Roger and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you