Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in Rhode Island where my ex-wife also resides. We have

I live in Rhode Island where my ex-wife also resides. We have a 14 yr old daughter and we share joint custody. I want to send my daughter to a boarding school in Hilton Head SC that will accelerate her golf game. My ex-wife is dead set against it. I would be paying all the costs. Can I send my duaghter without my ex-wifes consent?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : If you have shared custody, then both of you would have to agree to send your daughter, OR if that can't be done, then you would have to file a motion with the court and ask the judge to approve this.
Kirk Adams : Generally speaking, in order to prevail, you would have to show the court that this is in the best interest of your daughter to do this.
Customer:

What kind of motion are we talking about?

Kirk Adams : It would just be a motion for approval to send the child to this boarding school.
Kirk Adams : You would have to inform the court of the benefits and prove why this is in her best interest.
Customer:

Do I need an attorney to do this or can I go to Family Court and do it myself?

Kirk Adams : You certainly can do this yourself, but it'd be better to get an attorney to assist you as it would give you the best opportunity to get this done.
Customer:

Last question....How quickly can it generally get done?

Kirk Adams : You should be able to get this done fairly quickly.
Customer:

I would need to get it done before October 15. I think it would be relatively easy to prove the benefits.

Kirk Adams : You should be able to get that done in this timeframe.
Customer:

Thank You...you've been a great help.