Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

my ex husband owes me $9,000 form a settlment agreement. His

my ex husband owes me $9,000 form a settlment agreement. His lawyer wrote it so he can send me $20 a month. He hasnt paid any of the medical bills he is supposed to be helping me with for the kids. To get a lawyer to represent me for the contempt of court, it will cost more than the money he owes me. However can i take him to small claims court, where i can represent myself? Otherwise what recourse do i have? He is destroying my life even now as en ex. He owns his own company, and kept eveything in the divorce, and now the little I won, he is witholding form me> he hides all his assets in his dad's company, who is his partner. Can I at least take him to small claims over the 10,000? thank you

What state is this? And is it $9000 or $10,000?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well, after the 24 months of paying me $20 a month, i assume its somewhere in the middle, $9,500 or so....The state is Ohio. thank you

Thank you.

If he is not paying, then what I suggest you do is file a Contempt Motion - this you can do on your own, then during that hearing ask the Judge to reduce the Order to a Judgment. Ask the judge to not put a stipulation on the amount a week payable.

Once you get the judgment then you need to file for wage garnishment in the clerk's office.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would i need a lawyer dto do that? my husbnand pretends to make less money than me , but always manages to afford aggressive lawyers. If i walk in without a lawyer i know i will lose. Thats why I thought small claims was possble.

No. As I stated, you can file the Contempt on your own.

You have a court Order and you need to have it reduced to Judgment by the court that issued it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, so i ask to reduce it to judgment.But how do i stop him from sending $20 a month? I think his lawyer wrote it inj a way that allows him to do that (for instance a percentage of his take home pay). He hides all his money under his dads name and pretends to make less money than a drive thru employee. Is there a way I can appeal to a judges common sense ? It seems non existent. Everyone knows its what he is doing , and yet on paper he gets away with it because i cannot afford $15,000 for a financial forensics examiner.

When you go for the Contempt and request the Judgment, you ask the judge to not stipulate $20 a week so that you can do a wage garnishment.

Yes, you can do it on your own. Show that he is not paying as Court Ordered.