How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27010
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex husband owes me $9,000 form a settlment agreement. His

This answer was rated:

my ex husband owes me $9,000 form a settlment agreement. His lawyer wrote it so he can send me $20 a month. He hasnt paid any of the medical bills he is supposed to be helping me with for the kids. To get a lawyer to represent me for the contempt of court, it will cost more than the money he owes me. However can i take him to small claims court, where i can represent myself? Otherwise what recourse do i have? He is destroying my life even now as en ex. He owns his own company, and kept eveything in the divorce, and now the little I won, he is witholding form me> he hides all his assets in his dad's company, who is his partner. Can I at least take him to small claims over the 10,000? thank you


What state is this? And is it $9000 or $10,000?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well, after the 24 months of paying me $20 a month, i assume its somewhere in the middle, $9,500 or so....The state is Ohio. thank you


Thank you.

If he is not paying, then what I suggest you do is file a Contempt Motion - this you can do on your own, then during that hearing ask the Judge to reduce the Order to a Judgment. Ask the judge to not put a stipulation on the amount a week payable.

Once you get the judgment then you need to file for wage garnishment in the clerk's office.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would i need a lawyer dto do that? my husbnand pretends to make less money than me , but always manages to afford aggressive lawyers. If i walk in without a lawyer i know i will lose. Thats why I thought small claims was possble.


No. As I stated, you can file the Contempt on your own.

You have a court Order and you need to have it reduced to Judgment by the court that issued it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, so i ask to reduce it to judgment.But how do i stop him from sending $20 a month? I think his lawyer wrote it inj a way that allows him to do that (for instance a percentage of his take home pay). He hides all his money under his dads name and pretends to make less money than a drive thru employee. Is there a way I can appeal to a judges common sense ? It seems non existent. Everyone knows its what he is doing , and yet on paper he gets away with it because i cannot afford $15,000 for a financial forensics examiner.


When you go for the Contempt and request the Judgment, you ask the judge to not stipulate $20 a week so that you can do a wage garnishment.

Yes, you can do it on your own. Show that he is not paying as Court Ordered.

Samuel II and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you