How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a sixteen year old son that has lived with his grandparents

This answer was rated:

i have a sixteen year old son that has lived with his grandparents for 11 years and refusing to go to school we never went to court about custody but they have signed everything for school the last 10 years i just dont want to go to jail if they are not making him go to school.I just want to know who will be responsible for him missing school.
Good morning,

Thank you for your question. My name is Ellen. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

One moment please while I type your answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what info do you need

Hello Kim,

The grandparents may be held responsible for your son's failure to attend school if he were under the age of 16.

Alabama Statute Section 16-28-3 states "Every child between the ages of seven and 16 years shall be required to attend" school "on the application of the parents, legal custodian or guardian of the child" Since the grandparents have been acting as the child's guardian, they would be held liable

However you also mentioned that your child is 16 years old. Since the statute requires attendance only until the age of 16, there would not be any criminal liability for the grandparents

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions