Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I was in a common law marriage in Pennsylvania. The inception

I was in a common law marriage in Pennsylvania. The inception date of the "marriage" was 1997 Feb 14. The last date of sexual intercourse was August of 1996. The man I though of as my husband told me he could not have sex because his heart was too weak. I believed him. We were together until I filled for a legal divorce in October of 2007. I agree to pay support and pay for his car payment. I followed through with this agreement. I have become aware that my partner is gay. I want to know if it is possible to get a common law marriage annulled. I was lied to. I was taken advantage of. Do I have recourse? What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Are you still paying any support to this ex-common law husband?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have paid more then required. I am no longer sending any more money. Just don't want to have to say I was married to this man.

Dear Alexis,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, since you already obtained a legal divorce, it would be legally impossible to have this common law marriage annulled, since the law only allows either divorce or an annulment, but not both.

I am very sorry to provide you with this news, but please understand that I have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand that I have a legal divorce, but it was not entered into in good faith. I was deceived and paid support to some one who never consummated the marriage. I want to recover my loses.

Dear Alexis,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, all of these issues would had to be addressed at your divorce proceedings and at this point in time it would generally be too late to address such issues.

I am sorry and I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Licensed experienced Attorney