GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
46665915

I went on my soon to ex wifes yahoo account and deleted some

I went on my soon to ex wife's yahoo account and deleted some files. She found out and i admitted to it, what kind of trouble I am looking at?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Are you still residing together in the same house?

whose computer did you use to delete the accounts?

How did you get access to the account, or have you always had access?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not residing together

my work computer

we had the account on a shared home computer and I knew the password, because I use to check her emails and it was the only email account we had before I got an gmail account back in july of 2009

so in effect you and she shared this account prior to you getting your own account in 2009? she was aware you use to check the account when you were married? she was aware you had the account password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we were married at the time, she was aware then, but she most likely forgot I remembered the password...it was easy it was our daughters name and her age when we set up the account.

You present a novel question. Unless there was a court order prohibiting you from deleting information from her account, there is no basis to punish you in this regard. For example, temporary orders are issued in a divorce prohibiting the parties from selling assets or changing insurance information, etc.

The other issue is that technically this was a marital account, since it was established during the marriage and you both used it and had access to it. At worst you may get a slap on the wrist and stern warning by the judge if she takes this to court. It would be interesting to see an issue like this go to court because the argument could be made, successfully I think, that it is marital property and until the court awarded the account to your soon to be ex, either party still had the right to access the account in whatever manner they chose. Furthermore, she should have changed the password XXXXX she did not want you to have future access to the account.

Obviously, you should not engage in this type of behavior again but unless it was real property or financial property I do not think there is much recourse that she will be able to pursue against you especially with the history of the account as being joint at one point and being accessed by you throughout the relationship with her knowledge. I hope this helps clarify.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER on the subject line. Thank you!

GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti