How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is required for a Finnish woman to marry an Erican citizen

This answer was rated:

What is required for a Finnish woman to marry an Erican citizen and change last name. Not pursuing Citizenship. Will ne getting married in Hidalgo Co. Texas
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Congratulations on your decision to get married!

Here is the link to the official Hidalgo County, Texas website that clearly explains the requirements to obtain a marriage license and also has oline forms that are required:

Basically, you would only need your original passport from Finland to obtain a marriage license, but you would have to wait 72 hours after getting your marriage license, before the marriage can be finalized by a ceremony.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last name will be legally changed to my spouses? How do we get a marriagecertificate? Or is there a difference?

The marriage certificate will be given to you once you have your marriage ceremony and return your marriage license back to the county clerk.

In the USA you would be able to change your last name to your husband's last name on all of your official documents simply based on marriage and by presenting a certified copy of the marriage certificate to the government agencies that issue documents.

However, you would have to check on the laws in Finland, to see if the marriage certificate from the US, would be sufficient to change your legal name in Finland.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you