How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28805
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1991, my wife (at the time) and I had a short-term marital

Resolved Question:

In 1991, my wife (at the time) and I had a short-term marital separation for the most part of the year. During that time, my wife got pregnant with another man's baby, unbeknownst to me. We got back together and she informed me she was pregnant. Since we has sexual intercourse during our marital separation, I believed her when she told me she was pregnant with MY child. We ended up getting back together. Approximately 6 months after this time, my pregnant wife moved to Alabama for awhile. She returned within approx. 6 months, with an infant boy baby.

Things went real bad when she announced that the "infant baby boy" was NOT my child that he was the creation of an affair. We tried to make it work (even after finding out that the child was NOT mine), but things didn't work.

We went to court in Monterey County in California. I had a DNA test done and it was proven that I AM NOT THE FATHER. However, based on the Bastard Law, I ended up having to be responsible for this child.

22 years later, Monterey County is haunting me with outrageous Child Support bills and they keep adding interest to it. For the past ten years, it's been at approx. $65K and my wages are garnished. Each year they keep adding interest; sending notices that I am behind;l all the while, taking most of my income from Each and Every paycheck.

Since it has been PROVEN that this child is not mine (via DNA) and he is now going on 23 years old, what can I do to get this harassment to stop???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to help.
Kirk Adams : One question - was paternity established through a court ordered DNA test?

I had to personally pay for the DNA testing to prove the child was NOT mine.

Kirk Adams : Was this done through a court petition to determine paternity?

After the test results were turned over to Monterey County, they said paternity didn't matter because I had accepted this child into our household for more than 6 mos.


No. they would not do that. They just wanted the support money and made me matter the findings


Then, they went back through all the years and added $42K for back child support.

Kirk Adams : Ok. In order to rid yourself of any obligation to pay child support, you will have to file a petition to establish paternity and ask for a DNA test to be done per court order. The judge will then order the test to be done and the results to be reported back to it.

why couldn't that have been done then?

Kirk Adams : Once you get the test results back and it is found that you're not the father, you should be relieved of any obligation to pay.

do i need to re-establish a paternity test and ask it to be done per court order now? or can the results I submitted back then be utilized?

Kirk Adams : It could have been done back then - don't know what it wasn't.
Kirk Adams : Yes, paternity would have to be established through a court-ordered test.

Wow! I am upset because I was told I could NOT fight this based on The Bastard Law in CA 1989.


Is that right?

Kirk Adams : I'm not sure what was in effect back then - probably before DNA was a viable option - but I've never seen where a petition to establish paternity wasn't allowed.
Kirk Adams : It's not much you can do about what happened back then, but you can file a paternity petition now and try to get out from under the support due.

Thank you. Have you ever heard of this Bastard law? Will they drop all the past due charges, 62K, etc if paternity is established?


I submitted the DNA testing and they said that based on the Bastard Law, it didn't matter. Imagine that!

Kirk Adams : No, I never have heard of that law - but maybe it was something in effect before DNA testing was reliable.

Yes. They know who the TRUE FATHER is but have never pursued him as he is a lowlife with no income. they continue to go after me.

Kirk Adams : IF you can establish that you aren't the father, then you should have a claim to be relieved of any support obligation. But, you really should consider consulting a local attorney to help get this petition filed for you.

thank you. I appreciate your time.


can we cross-file to get the money back? I've been garnished for many many years.

Kirk Adams : Sure. Glad to help.
Kirk Adams : Please let me know if you need anything further.

can we cross-file to get funds back?

Kirk Adams : Yes, you can request this, but the statute of limitations may prevent you recovering it.

oh, I see. Thank you. I will do my best. Geeeez! This has been nuts.


The reason I am contacting you on this date is because I just got another letter today, stating that they were going to increase the garnishment.

Kirk Adams : Understood.

they have spent years taking all my income tax returns, bonuses, etc.

Kirk Adams : Speak to a local family law attorney about doing something about this.

will do.


any other suggestions regarding this matter??

Kirk Adams : The best thing is to try and get something filed before they begin garnishing you again.
Kirk Adams : Just see a local lawyer as soon as you can!

thank you. have a nice day.

Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28805
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: