AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

Me and my wife has been separated for a couple months now she

Me and my wife has been separated for a couple months now she tried to commit suicide about a month ago now I am filing for divorce but I have been told that if I tell my lawyer about her attempt that they could find her mentally unstable and I would have to end up paying her bills too. Is this true or is someone telling me a lie. We have 3 kids also.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing family law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Me and my wife has been separated for a couple months I am sorry.

now she tried to commit suicide about a month ago Oh no!

now I am filing for divorce but I have been told that if I tell my lawyer about her attempt that they could find her mentally unstable Well, an attempt at suicide likely is mental instability, and you have children to concern yourself with.

and I would have to end up paying her bills too. This is no more true than if you don't tell - since if she can't work for whatever reason, so long as not wilful, she will need alimony and if the court finds you should pay same, it will be so. Moreover, the requirement of paying her medical bills does not apply to those bills incurred by her after the divorce, be they mental health bills or physical medical problem bills.

Is this true or is someone telling me a lie. Probably not a meaningful lie, what they may be suggesting that if she is considered truly disabled and unable to work, she may get alimony. But she may be able to persuade a judge of that regardless.

We have 3 kids also.Most importantly, these 3 kids. Their mother has mental illness such that she is a danger to herself. This sad action of hers against herself, is likely extremely damaging to the children already. If you want custody, you just may get it based on her inability to take care of herself, much less her children. And of course, if you have custody, IF she is capable of income, she will likely pay child support to you. You will not owe child support to her. If she gets custody, you will surely be paying her child support for the 3 children, and until a psychologist or psychiatrist says otherwise, she may be very unfit to do so until she has successfully recovered.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.